Monday, March 17, 2014

Tales of Sherwood

When I walked into the office this morning, my Boss wasn't looking too great.

Instead of going, "Why Boss, you look inflamed this morning. Are you alright?",
I asked politely "Good Morning Boss, didn't you catch enough sleep last night?"

He looked a bit taken back and denied any anomalies in his routine. Also, he never likes to admit it when he is coming down with an illness, however obvious the symptoms are.

Much later in the day, he tells me,
"You know, this morning when I went to the 7-11 store at the gas station, I was attacked by a swarm of fruit flies near the biscuits shelf while waiting to pay for my things. I don't know why there were flies inside the store. Maybe the door doesn't lock well and they got in. They were too small to be bees. They looked thinner and longer."

I asked, "Did you get bitten?"

He said, "No, but I whacked all of them."

This funny little story didn't seem out of line to me from an ordinary day in Sherwood (the gas station may as well been a watering hole for the horses). My Boss is after all the spitting image of Little John from the story of Robin Hood. Not just in his physique, but also in character. He's very protective of his team, extremely kind, easy going and fearless when it comes to defending those who try to attack him or his territory.

From the left: Will, Little John, Lady Marion, Much, Robin Hood, Friar Tuck, Nasir

There's a trusted associate of my Boss who brings him useful information from the world outside, who also happens to have a short stature like Much. Nasir, who joined our company recently is very capable but speaks very little. He also has a moustache. Another elderly and jovial team member is Friar Tuck. His table is always filled with food and he generously feeds anyone who stops by his desk. Even I like frequenting his table for snacks.

The King of England actually sits in the cubicle next door and is separated from our cubicle by a drywall partition (this guy though is originally from Scotland). This elderly gentleman can't stop swearing or talking about himself. I sometimes enjoy his company since he is an entertaining story teller and he never runs out of amusing stories (about his life) to relate. Also, he depends on me to fix his Microsoft Powerpoint and Microsoft Word problems.

My Boss' Boss  is undoubtedly Herne the Hunter. When he does approach our office to see my Boss, the skies turn grey, the birds flee, flowers wither and we are engulfed with fear, because it's rarely a good thing. Sometimes Herne summons Little John to his office and even the bold Little John gets uneasy.

Herne the Hunter
Photo credits: Pork Magazine

In case, it wasn't downright obvious, I'm Lady Marion. Robin Hood and Will are yet to appear on the set.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...